Saturday, August 04, 2007

Bullshitters bullshitting

This blog has been stagnant for months and I am not sure how many mossies it has bred. Well, enough of my bullshits, now its blogging about some real life bullshits.

I had a great dinner @ swensons with my colleagues from Eventage last tuesday. The take of the day from my boss was 'Jeremy, I tell you, the university people, the lecturers or professors, are also people who talk jiao wei (bird talk, or rubbish). You don't believe tomorrow you see ' And this statement was verified the next day.

Like anyone who is concerned about his studies for the next four years, I took great effort in mapping out my university modules with yujin. Great effort was taken not because it is so hard to map. In fact, mapping is a simple affair, like piecing jigsaw puzzles. The effort is in trying to navigate the NUS websites, reading through the websites, which are so screwed up and messy. Newbies typically cant find information from it easily. And the whole search for information became more irritating after a while when you realised the karma of your clicking actions was 15 windows being opened! Nevertheless, the determined me finally mapped out my modules for the four years, with some queries to ask the professors or experts the next day during the engineering welcome talks and briefs.

And Yujin can testify, we literally wasted one day of our life going to the NUS engineering briefs. It's F##ked up. First was the dean's welcome. That was not so bad, although he kept saying 'you've made the right choice' throughout his welcome. Perhaps to the impressionable 19 year olds who just graduated from JC not long ago, this appear to be some form of reassurance and motivation that they have indeed make the right choice. But to us who have been enlightened from 2 years of NS, it just appear as pure bullshit... in army it's termed as wayang. Next, there was supposed to be a briefing on CORS bidding and IVLE. The shock came when this briefing was actually not a briefing but a broadcast of a webcast teaching us how to bid. Any IT literate student can easily read the webcast online at home, why travel down to school to watch a webcast? The next bullshit and the greatest bullshit of the day was the double major brief. Our queries about our modules were mostly about the double major programme and we were looking forward to this brief to seek enlightenment. However, this was wishful thinking on our part. We were enlightened, not about the modules, but about becoming aware that we know more than the professor. He couldn't answer all our queries and he tried to smoke about it, which made the audience more confused. 'maybe, perhaps you can do this and that, well, i don't know'. These were words that come out from him and it cost me 1.5 hour listening to him bullshitting and gaining no new insights about my course. I went to the session to seek answers from the subject expert, not to hear someone trying to smoke out answers he himself didn't even know. It was absurd. NUS shouldn't send someone who know nothing at all to brief the audience.

Leaving the school in a pissed mode, thinking that the day was not worth living, I remembered what my Eventage boss told me, by the way he was form ITE. 'Jeremy, I tell you, the university people, the lecturers or professors, are also people who talk jiao wei (bird talk, or rubbish). You don't believe tomorrow you see ' It was the sole enlightenment I had for the day.